Ukrainian flyweight Maryna Moroz emotional after dominant win at UFC 272

LAS VEGAS - Maryina Moroz got a big ovation for walking into the arena with her Ukrainian flag and then an even bigger one when she finished her fight.

Moroz, a flyweight, defeated Maria Agapova via submission (arm-triangle choke) in 3 minutes, 27 seconds of the second round on Saturday night at the UFC 272 Prelims at T-Mobile Arena.

The fight was emotional for Moroz, who was once a teammate with Agapova on the American Top Team in Florida. The two have exchanged harsh words in recent months in interviews and on social media, but they have mostly shut down over the past two weeks.

On February 24, Russia invaded Moroz's home country of Ukraine, and the two nations are at war.

"There's a lot of pressure on me," Moroz said at his postfight news conference. "All this week I feel nervous, I cried. I tried to concentrate. Not many people know, but it was really hard for me. I see in Ukraine how dire the situation is. It's really My heart was almost crying. But I did it. I focused, and I fought."

Moroz has raised awareness about Ukraine on his social media, including selling T-shirts to raise funds. She told ESPN earlier this week that her family owns a farm in Ukraine and is up in arms to make Molotov cocktails with her father in preparation for potential violence. Moroz said his parents are helping to feed the soldiers with products such as cheese from their farm.

After his win, Moroz took the microphone from UFC color commentator Joe Rogan and almost cried as he discussed how difficult it had been for him lately.

"Thank you all for supporting me, for sending me the message," Moroz said. "This week was tough for me. I want to cry."

She ended the interview shouting, "Slavic Ukrainian!" Which translates as "Glory of Ukraine".

Moroz (11-3), 30, has won three straight since moving up from strawweight. Due to visa issues, this was their first fight since March 2020.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post