Cameron Norrie begins Indian Wells defence with Pedro Martinez victory

Indian Wells Masters champion Cameron Norie began his crown defense with a straight-sets win over Spain's Pedro Martínez on Saturday.

After Andy Murray and Dan Evans booked their places in the third round, 2021 winner Nori won 6-3 6-3 over Martinez to keep his hopes of back-to-back titles alive.

Nori recovered from an early break to win four games in a row in the first set, before Martinez broke the serve to progress, before hitting long and wide on deuce with the Spaniard netting.

"He came out and played well, I was a little nervous and wasn't moving my legs that much, but he gave me a break and I was able to get some rest," Norrie told Amazon Prime during his on-court Told interview.

"In the second set I raised my level and ran with him. The second round was not an easy match, he [Pedro] had nothing to lose and was very aggressive, but I was very happy with my level in the end. "

Nori's third round match saw him renewing animosity with Nikoloz Basilashvili, whom he defeated in the previous year's final to win his first ATP Masters 1000 title.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post