Steven Gerrard support amid Aston Villa flak as Philipe Coutinho lifts lid on Premier League reunion

Coutinho says it's an "honour" to be reunited with his former Liverpool teammate.

Steven Gerrard has been handed a huge show of support at Aston Villa as Philippe Coutinho says the "demanding" Scouser has the respect of the squad.

And the Brazilian insists it is a dream to be reunited with a man he has respected since they were teammates at Liverpool.

Gerard got off to a flying start at Villa Park following his move from Rangers but things have gotten worse since the turn of the year.

Despite a strong January, which saw Coutinho as one of four new signings, they have won just once in 2022 and are sinking like a stone in the Premier League table.

They have lost back-to-back games to relegation strugglers at Newcastle and Watford in recent weeks and face Brighton on Saturday to get things back on track.

Gerrard has faced a lot of criticism from fans and pundits, but Coutinho has nothing but praise for his former Anfield teammate.

He insisted that he was happy to work with him again and praised his man-management style that has held the team behind.

He told ESPN in Brazil: "I've always admired him a lot. For me, it was an honor to play with him. Having him now as a coach, the experience he goes through, the training sessions have been strong and demand.

“He has big ambitions, I am happy to be here and I hope he will respond to what we expect by helping our team achieve our goals. As a player and now, as a coach It was an honor to be a part of his career, I feel even more honored.

"I've always had this relationship of admiration and respect. I wish I had the chance to work with him again. He is someone who is very open to all players and has a lot of influence in the group.

"I think everyone likes to be well behaved, to be in a place where they feel appreciated. Where they can be there for you, they want things to work out. You should feel the same way.

"Whatever team I'm playing for, I'm always going to give my all, but if you're in a place where you feel appreciated, you can do your best."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post