Brooklyn Nets' Kyrie Irving drops 38 to beat Milwaukee Bucks, can see 'light at the end of the tunnel'

Milwaukee - Brooklyn Nets guard Kyrie Irving said he can finally see the "light at the end of the tunnel" after playing the best game of his scrapped season in Saturday's surprise 126-123 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.

Irving scored a season-high 38 points to lead his Underman team against the defending NBA champions. Later, he acknowledged the prospect of New York City scrapping the vaccination mandate, which kept him off the floor of Brooklyn's Barclays Center throughout the season, saying he wanted to "turn the page."

"I'm glad things are going well and there's light at the end of the tunnel," Irving said. "Hopefully, I can come back to that home ground playing at Barclays and now that we can finally have that conversation you're just dying to turn the page and move on.

"But like I said, I'm not alone. I feel for everyone who is either in my boat or a similar boat or has had some sort of trauma. And always wishing everyone the best."

Irving's remarks are his first since New York City Mayor Eric Adams told reporters earlier in the week that he "can't wait to get it done" while discussing phasing out vaccination restrictions like other cities across the country. can do".

"I'm following it as much as you guys are," Irving said. "So just be patient and see where things end up in the next week or so, I'm not sure, but I know as much as you know. And I want to say this - can I Huge appreciation to everyone who is pushing behind the scenes to make our world a better place.

"And with COVID cases calming down, the most important thing for me was to make sure everyone is okay. I've been on record saying it's not about me, I don't want to feel That's all on for me, but this year the conditions haven't been ideal."

Irving also said he appreciated NBA commissioner Adam Silver's recent comments on ESPN's Get Up, where Silver defended Irving, saying the mandate "doesn't mean much to me," noting that the opposing teams Unaffiliated players can still play in New York City. ,

"I know his job isn't easy," Irving said. "Standing under fire, sometimes, on behalf of our league. So my level of respect became a whole new one for him, and I'm just grateful that he did, and he actually took one for the team. And I ' I'm grateful for that. But like I said, we want to set a great example to the world in what we're doing, and we try to stand up for what's right and everyone's decisions and theirs. Respect personal beliefs."

On top of Irving's condition, what makes the Nets so hopeful that there are just 21 regular-season games left to play, is that star forward Kevin Durant suffered a sprain this week after missing a month and a half. The left MCL is expected to return. New extra Ben Simmons is also expected to be available in the near future as he ramps up his conditioning after waiting to be traded to the Philadelphia 76ers, although Nets coach Steve Nash said Saturday that Simmons was "a slight pain in his back". "We're dealing with. ,

For Irving, he said the win in Milwaukee was even more special, as he injured his right ankle in Game 4 of last year's Eastern Conference semifinal against the Bucks, ending his season prematurely.

"Preparing for this game was definitely emotional for me," Irving said. "Just because — I haven't been back in this building since. I try my best not to wear my feelings on my face or my shoulders, but sometimes, they can get the best of me. But it sure is." It just felt like coming back here, recovering, winning and knowing we might see them on the line again... Nothing personal about this game, just about the team "

Nash praised Irving after Saturday's win.

"I thought Kyrie was amazing," Nash said. "He was incredible shot-making, took up a huge chunk of our offense. I think [he] gives other people more room to breathe. So it's important for the whole team to see his presence, shot-making and creativity." Makes better with."

Veteran guard Goran Dragic, who made his nets debut on Saturday and scored six points in 14 minutes, put into perspective what it's like to play with Irving.

"When you see Kyrie, it's like she's in a video game," Dragic said. "It's just crazy how he moves and how he's making tough shots. We were just talking on the bench about what a great win it's going to be for us, but when we get back to KD and Simmons and those guys, So they can score the ball, they defend, so it will be a completely different team."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post