Rory McIlroy makes big early run for 65 to open 2-shot lead at Bay Hill

Orlando, Fla. - Rory McIlroy started Thursday at 7-under 65 and there was reason to expect such a score at Bay Hill, not because of the course but the day of the week.

A good start for McIlroy at the Arnold Palmer Invitational over the past two years has not been a problem. Now it's time to take them to the finish line.

With three birdies on par 5 and a 40-foot eagle, McIlroy made his lowest start at Bay Hill and saw Billy Horschel, Beau Hoesler and J.J. span.

Adam Scott, Graeme McDowell and Ian Poulter, who dressed in Ukrainian colors, were three shots behind the group on 68.

"I think any golf course you go to where you've had success, and automatically you're going to have some confidence," said McIlroy, who won at Bay Hill in 2018 and hasn't dropped out of the top. 10 in the last five years.

He started with 66 in each of the last two years, failing to equalize at the weekend both times.

But there is a rhythm to playing Bay Hill that makes McIlroy comfortable, mainly taking advantage of par 5s and a few shorter par 4s. He had eaves bars on three of par 5, making the ridge longer on the 16th, his seventh hole of the round.

"I played a particularly good 5s, and that was a big part of the score," he said. "I've said it all, you can play within yourself here and still shoot a good score, I guess, if you're just disciplined and pick up birdies where you need to."

World No. 1 Jon Rahm made his debut at Bay Hill with a 72, which included an extra stroke he hadn't expected. He went to rap on the seventh hole with a 10-inch par put, didn't feel right and tried to block the stroke to push the ball an inch.

"I wish I could give you all the excuses in the world, but no, it's as simple as it didn't feel good in my hands, and I tried to stop, and I didn't. I just didn't. Wait, Rahm said. "I don't know. It was so weird."

McIlroy played with Scott, a delight for the morning's biggest gal who enjoys watching the two net swings with the driver. This time there was an exception. Scott decided to leave the driver out of the bag in an attempt to hit more fairways and avoid being thicker than usual.

How did it work out?

"Not bad for me - 68 - I mean, it's not bad," Scott said.

As for his accuracy, he hit only seven out of 14 fairways. Asked if he would go to TPC Sagaras without a driver next week, Scott didn't even know what he would do on Friday.

It was still a comfortable start, especially with McIlroy playing and seeing the four-time major champion look easy on a course that held itself in ideal weather.

Scott said, "I love playing with Rory. I really enjoy watching him play." "He's the kind of guy I can watch sports and get positive swing ideas for myself. I love watching him swing a golf club. I think almost everyone in the world would say that."

McIlroy last won the CJ Cup in Las Vegas this season on the PGA Tour, though he missed an opportunity this year when he had a lead on the back nine in Dubai until it cost him a series of bogeys. Had to pay

His only win at Bay Hill was a 67-64, so he knows how to close.

McDowell has a pair of runner-up finishes at the Arnold Palmer Invitational and is now one of the biggest supporters of the PGA Tour event in his adopted hometown. He is trying to steer his game in the right direction and he feels it is trending.

His last win on the PGA Tour was in the Dominican Republic in 2019. His victory at the Saudi International a year later brought him back into the world's top 50 and earned him another spot at the Masters. Since that Saudi victory, McDowell has only had one Top 10 and is ranked No. 399.

This is enough to deter him from considering a bid to become Europe's next Ryder Cup captain. McDowell thinks the 2023 match in Italy - Europe still hasn't announced the captain - could be his only chance.

"Instead of diverting my attention and taking over the captaincy of the Ryder Cup, I want to come back again after playing consistently well at a high level," he said. "Maybe a part of me is suggesting that I am not good enough to make the team. Are there 12 better players in Europe than me right now? I have to ask myself this question.

"If I'm here to do what I'm doing, I have to say there are no 12 guys better than me, and I'm good enough to make the team," he said. "To be able to compete at a high level, I have to have that belief."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post