Manchester United's Anthony Elanga on crucial UCL goal: Ralf Rangnick told me to 'scare' Atletico Madrid

Anthony Elanga has said manager Ralph Rangnik told him to "scare" Atlético Madrid before scoring Manchester United's crucial equalizer at Wanda Metropolitano.

Elanga scored with his first touch after coming off the bench in the 80th minute to level United 1-1 in the first leg of the Champions League Round of 16.

It was his first and only shot on target as Elanga became the club's youngest goalscorer in the Champions League knockout stages at 19 years and 302 days.

"I've dreamed of moments like this, scoring in the Champions League against top European teams like Atletico Madrid, [it's] a dream come true," Elanga told BT Sport.

"I think that was my first touch too. He [Rangnik] told me to scare the defenders and run back.

"When I get a chance to take it. I wanted a good result for the fans because they have come a long way.

"It's only the first half, we have to be ready for the second half at Old Trafford."

Sweden has become an important part of the under-21 international team since Rangnik came in as interim boss in December.

His goal against Atlético, which canceled Joo Felix's seventh-minute header, was his second in consecutive games after scoring again as a substitute in a 4-2 win over Leeds United at land Road on Sunday. was round.

"I told you how cool and calm I am and whenever I am given the opportunity I want to repay the manager and give 150% every time I step on the pitch," he said.

"I do what I can, I want to be the best player on the pitch and I appreciate the boss.

"You have to stay in the game, anything can happen. We didn't play the best in the first half, but improved after the substitution in the second half."

United were lucky to still be in the game when Elanga scored after a first-half performance, with Rangnik saying he "couldn't believe it."

Atlético did the woodwork twice but United ended the game as the stronger of the two teams when Rangnik made several changes, including bringing in Elanga for Marcus Rashford.

"I don't know if I saved it or not, but it could have gotten better after the first half," Rangnik said.

"I still can't believe what we played in the first half. We played without conviction, without aggression and that's why we were fighting. We had to play better in the first half, I did that in the first half. Was very disappointed with the performance."

"He [Elanga] is playing like it's a dream come true, it's joy and fun to watch him play. I wish some other players would take him as an example and a role model."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post