West Ham's Declan Rice has 'urgent' desire to play in the Champions League

Declan Rice believes he has become one of the best players in the world, and emphasized his "immediate" desire to play Champions League football and win trophies.

The West Ham midfielder was named Premier League Player of the Year at Thursday's London Football Awards as the Hammers are just two points out of the top four with 11 games to go.

David Moyes' team missed Champions League qualifying last season and when asked how desperate he is to get into Europe's top competition, Rice told ESPN: "It's as urgent as possible. I feel like, not only for me, it is for every young player as well.

"We were really close to West Ham in the minute and last season, it was hard to lose last year but we are pushing. Look, we will keep going. The Champions League is a big objective of mine and hopefully one day I can play in it. I can do well.

"I think I'm one of the established top players around the world. I'm only 23 so I'm still young - that's what I mean in that sense - but my ability to play and the way I performed In terms of that consistently, I now see myself as an established player who has good experience and can play at any level when needed."

Rice has a contract at West Ham until 2024, with the club having the option of extending it for another year, but there is speculation that Chelsea, Manchester United or Manchester City may test their resolve to keep the midfielder, whose The price is over £. 100m

"You hear those numbers and for me personally it's crazy to hear that," Rice said. “All I can do is go out there and perform regardless of the price tag. I just need to focus on playing well and performing at the best level.

"I was released by Chelsea at the age of 14, it was a blow. I was released by West Ham almost at the age of 16, it was almost a blow and I had big games where we went to the Euro finals. Were kind of lost [England were beaten by Italy on penalties]. It really pushes you to improve.

"As a youngster, I watch my close friends, big players win big trophies, you want to be a part of it. You want to be remembered for what you have won in this career. Hopefully these moments Being me now can inspire me to be even better."

Rice explained why England's race to the final of Euro 2020 has been a catalyst for taking their game to new heights.

"In the final, after I had my first touch, I knew I would have a good game because I was so prepared for it: driving with the ball, winning tackles, making good passes ahead," he said.

"Even though we lost that game and it was probably the worst moment of my career, I took a positive from it that I can perform like this on the big stage.

"I remember my first game in Newcastle this season. I only had two weeks off. I played the first half and wasn't in the race but in the second half I took it to the level where I was at Euro. The manager told me pulled over and said 'That's where you need to be.' That's what I tried to do this season."

Rice said he has more confidence in himself this season.

"My brothers have always told me that my potential is unbelievable and that I need to show it more on the football pitch. The first few years of my career at West Ham I was probably holding myself back since I was a youngster, I didn't want to make a mistake. I wanted to be on the fans' good side, I wanted to be on the manager's side.

"I think since Euro when I've played really well and it's really inspired me. And this season I've thought 'You know what, I have all this potential. I'm going there Show me more." What you are seeing now is also a bit of what is to come.

Rice also hinted at the possibility of Mark Noble taking over the captaincy of West Ham when he retires at the end of the season.

"Me and Mark are always having this conversation," Rice said. "He mentioned to me sometimes that I obviously have to deal with all that stuff behind the scenes. He also tackled it young. I'll learn on the job but I'll be prepared for it and that's part of being a good captain. Is: Helping the team and helping the club.

"I'm sure he'll always be a phone call away from me if I need any help. And hopefully we'll still see him around the club."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post