Pop star Dua Lipa on reclaiming viral moment she was bullied for

"I look back at it with such fondness because it helped me grow into the artist that I wanted to become," she said.

Dua Lipa is grateful to the haters who bullied her five years ago.

The "Don't Start Now" singer went viral in 2017 for what fans called a "lazy" dance, in which Lipa places her hands on her hips and transfers her weight between the hips in a fun, bouncy movement.

Jimmy Fallon asked the 26-year-old singer what she thought of fans who portray her dancing as "without inspiration" during an appearance on her show on Thursday, March 3.

Lipa - who is currently headlining her Future Nostalgia Tour - said online bullying initially dented her confidence. But drowning in the abyss did not last forever. She is back on the top of the mountain, fearlessly dancing during the tour.

"I brought it back," she said. "I'm doing it on my tour. I'm retrieving it because there was a moment where it really hurt me. I was being bullied online. It wasn't great."

The five-year gap between the bully and her current tour provided healing in the area and a new understanding that it made her better both as a performer and as a performer.

"Now, I can look at it from a different perspective. I look at it with so much love because it helped me grow into the artist I wanted to be. It made me work harder. I went in, I rehearsed more. I just wanted to be a real artist. And I think that was the kind of thing I needed."

The "Electricity" singer began her current tour last month after its original start date of early 2020 was postponed due to the pandemic.

Lipa performs again on Friday night at the Prudential Center in New Jersey, where she will dance for everyone.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post