Ikem Ekwonu meets with Jacksonville Jaguars, says being No. 1 overall NFL draft pick 'wouldn't shock me'

Indianapolis — North Carolina State offensive tackle Ikem "Icky" Ekwonu has done his homework, and believes he could be -- and is ready to handle -- the No. 1 pick of next month's NFL Draft.

Ekwonu is currently projected to be the No. 1 overall pick at the Jacksonville Jaguars by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. He is ranked as the No. 2 prospect by Kiper and as the No. 4 by ESPN's Todd McShahe (behind Alabama tackle Evan Neal).

"I think I'll be the third player to go No. 1 overall in [NC] state history," Ekwonu said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. , I feel like I worked for it. I think when that time comes, I won't be shocked by it."

Asked if there was anything about the drafting process that would surprise him, Aquanu politely said, "No, sir."

"I wouldn't say pressure, but there are always expectations," Ekwonu said of being the No. 1 overall pick. "But with my work ethic...ask any coach: I've definitely worked out. I do everything I can every day to meet those expectations."

Mario Williams, taken by the Houston Texans in 2006, is the only other NC State player to be voted No. 1 overall in the NFL draft. Quarterback Roman Gabriel was the first overall pick in the 1962 AFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders.

Gabriel was voted No. 2 overall in the NFL draft that year behind Syracuse's Ernie Davis, and signed with the Los Angeles Rams.

Ekwonu, who met with the Jaguars on Tuesday in Indianapolis, played guard and tackle in his three seasons. His video highlights are full of defenders he has blocked and are shown stretched out on the ground. He is a formidable player who many personnel executives believe has plenty of room to grow when his technique matches his prowess.

He said he's put a lot of work into near-blocking exercises while training in California in recent weeks. And when he is ready and will be able to go inside the guard if the team wants him, Ekwonu considers himself a potential prospect.

"I've never been shy about bouncing in and doing what's best for the team, but if you're asking me personally, I definitely see myself as a left tackle," Ekwonu said. "I feel like I'm just barely scratching the surface of my ability in the left tackle, and I think with some work and some improvement in my game, I can definitely be great at it."

Ekwonu also has an inside track on the NFL training camp tradition for rookies - singing or talent shows - given their background in musical theater in elementary school, including performances of "101 Dalmatians," "Aristocats" and "The Jungle Book". Includes roles. He also took a four-year chorus and honors chorus in high school.

“I was actually the leader in the 101 Dalmatians; I was Pongo the Dog,” Ekwonu said. "It was a big step forward for me. ... I have a very long range. I can sing base to base. I actually sang a lot of tenor in high school because there weren't a lot of tenor people who could hit. Can high notes.

"... I'll definitely go out [to training camp] and show them I can sing a little bit."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post