Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers explains Instagram post, says he hasn't made decision on whether to play in 2022

GREEN BAY, Wis. — A day after a lengthy Instagram post set Aaron Rodgers into a frenzied speculation about his future, the Green Bay Packers quarterback said Tuesday that he has nothing to report. There is no news or no decision has been taken. About whether he will play in 2022.

Instead, Rodgers attempted to explain on "The Pat McAfee Show" that his post—the hashtag "Monday Night Gratitude"—came at the end of a 12-day cleanse called Panchakarma, during which he spent time in a contemplative state. "There's nothing secret about gratitude," Rodgers said.

"You have to shut down everything else, so you're not working out, you're not stressed or anything. It's kind of re-focused. It not only heals you physically, but I think is that it takes away the mental stress and then the spiritual part. I think it allows you to enjoy meditation a little more, so when I come out, my first thought is deep gratitude for the people in my life. "

One of the photos that caused the most stir were receivers Randall Cobb and Davante Adams of the November 7 game in Kansas City that Rodgers missed due to COVID-19. He left a space in between where Rodgers would normally stand during the national anthem, and some Internet searchers interpreted it as a goodbye message.

"When I got that picture from Randall and Davante, I had tears in my eyes because that's my guys standing before the game," Rodgers said. "Randall is always on my right, Tae on my left and I hug with them both after the anthem. It's a part of the pregame ritual, but also a statement about the friendship and the love and connection that we have in our own friendship. Collectively and individually.

"They kept the space and an open for me in the game because of my positive COVID test, and that got me, man. And it's one of my favorite pictures from the year. It's really because it just shows love and How special each of those moments is, so this is one of my all-time favorite photos and the thought that went into doing this was deeply moving for me, especially how crazy it was that week. To achieve, it got me."

Rodgers' future may be tied to Adams, who is set to become a free agent next month. The Packers will almost certainly use the franchise tag to keep him off the market with the hope that if Rodgers returns they can reach a long-term contract to keep Adams at Green Bay.

"Obviously there's an opportunity to tag him at some point, which I don't think either side would probably want to do," Rodgers said. "They'd rather get a long-term extension, but I understand that's part of the decision and I talked about not pulling that out."

His 41-minute appearance on the show Tuesday was more about reflection than looking to the future, though Rodgers said he had "to consider" before deciding whether to play in 2022. There are other things to do, but it won't be long". , if it is for the Packers.

He made it clear that he left Green Bay feeling very different about the Packers after this past season than he did last year, when he began his season of dissatisfaction with the organization.

"I would say the meetings were very different than in the past -- in a positive way," Rodgers said. "And that there were some really honest conversations that I appreciated."

Rodgers said the improvement began shortly after returning to the team last July during a meeting with general manager Brian Gutekunst at the start of training camp. This was followed by an off-season filled with Zoom meetings, phone calls and multiple visits by team personnel — in which he said several members of the coaching staff were waiting for him to return along the Pacific Coast Highway in front of his California home — to help Rodgers return to the team. Trying to persuade me to come back.

Rodgers compared training camp conversations with Guttkunst, who appeared on stage with Brett Favre at the 2013 NFL Honors.

“The best analogy is, he and Brett Favre were shaking hands on stage at the NFL Honors,” Rodgers said. "I felt like, and a lot of people, and Brett would probably say the same thing, it was kind of a catalyst to get Brett back in the fold. ... and that was the conversation that Brian and I had. .. I think it was the first step towards real free-flowing conversation and friendship, and I'm certainly grateful for the work they put on the relationship and the juice ball as well."

Actress Shailene Woodley was a big part of not only Rodgers' Instagram posts but Tuesday's show as well. Rodgers, who announced 13 months ago that the two were engaged, credits him with playing a part in his success on the field over the past two seasons.

"I was also saying that Shai, having been with you for two seasons, won two MVPs; it's no coincidence," Rodgers said recently, denying reports from the entertainment site that the two had split. "And I mean this. When your home life is stable and you have a wonderful partner to do life with, it only makes work life a bonus. ... When you have a partner like that, So it makes life even more. Pleasant and delicious and exciting. I think living a life of gratitude is an important way to keep that joy in your life. When you meet your person, life just changes And you can't possibly turn around the special people that we meet."

He also apologized to those close to him, who were affected by his controversial stance on vaccination, which came to light soon after his positive COVID-19 test during the season.

"I had no idea what kind of shrapnel they would be taking," Rodgers said. "So many people stepped up to the plate and sent me great messages of support, and love. But I feel like I'm out of it now and interacting with some of those people and understanding the whole gravity of the situation I was cast in and decided to speak up several times, it had an impact on a lot of people. To those people, I just say I'm sorry. I never meant to bring you in the middle of it, but You got involved by proxy because of your relation to me."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post