Kiwi Wood joins Newcastle from Burnley

New Zealand international Chris Wood has become Newcastle United's second January signing after completing his move from Premier League rivals Burnley.

The 30-year-old New Zealand striker has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee that is believed to be worth more than Stg20 million ($A37.5m) and could make his debut on Saturday with fellow struggling Watford at St James's Park Showdown.

Magpies manager Eddie Howe told the club's website: "Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I am very pleased that we have been able to move quickly and have him here."

"He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has a lot of experience in the Premier League. He would be a great fit for us."

Wood, who has played for Leicester City and Leeds United among other clubs, moved to Newcastle after four-and-a-half years at Burnley, scoring 49 goals in 144 Premier League appearances.

"It's a very exciting opportunity for me and I'm happy to be a Newcastle United player," Wood said.

"I've played at St James's Park many times and it's an amazing place, so the opportunity to represent this club with those incredible supporters behind me and my teammates is very special.

"Throughout this process the club and manager have been first-class, and I really can't wait to get on the pitch and repay the faith in me, especially with a significant portion of the season ahead of us."

Second-down Newcastle, who were taken over by Saudi Arabian bosses in October, extended their squad last week by signing England fullback Kieran Trippier from La Liga champions Atletico Madrid.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post