Princess Anne recalled royal tour ‘nightmare’ in 1980 interview: ‘Couldn't get up!'

PRINCESS ANNE once recalled her royal tour "nightmare" in a revealing interview with TV legend Michael Parkinson in a throwback interview.

Next week, Princess Anne will visit Papua New Guinea to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. The visit is one of four that are being undertaken by senior members of the royal family to mark the monumental milestone of the emperor. Her Majesty serves as the head of state for the Pacific country, one of the 54 Commonwealth countries.

Earlier this year, the Governor-General Grand Chief Sir Bob Dada said in a statement: "We look forward to receiving Her Royal Highness Princess Anne."

Anne has long been admired for her work ethic and has performed at many royal events.

A reader of The Times, Tim O'Donovan, recently revealed that Anne completed 387 official engagements in 2021, making her the busiest royal ever.

While she is now a seasoned working royal, the princess has previously revealed that royal tours once started a "nightmare".

Speaking to TV legend Michael Parkinson, the Princess Royal described a "vivid" dream during her first major Royal Tour in 1970.

The tour began in Fiji, traveling through Tonga to New Zealand, where the family stayed for about a week.

Anne and her older brother, Prince Charles, were in their early twenties at the time, and began their careers as working royals.

The couple were allowed a few days' rest at a sheep station west of Christchurch, but on their first night, the Princess Royal suffered a nightmare.

Recounting the dream a decade later in 1980, Anne said: "That night I found myself - I kept trying to wake myself up, because I was quite convinced that I was in the middle of a room full of people and All I needed was talking to them, and really all I was doing was lying in this room full of people and I couldn't even get up to talk to them.

“And finally I woke myself up and it was two in the morning or something and I should have been in a deep sleep and I was enjoying it.

"It was a very vivid kind of nightmare."

Anne reported that she had in the past organized handshakes, talks and royal outings, a practice relatively new to the royal family.

She said: "It was quite the experience."

The princess revealed that she had not received any training before embarking on the Royal Tour.

She told Mr. Parkinson: "There's no school for the royal tour. I'm afraid it comes with experience."

She continued: "Because you grow up with it they think you know everything - and you don't!"

Anne has gained considerable experience over the past 52 years as a dedicated working royal.

His upcoming trip will begin with a visit to Australia on Saturday.

The Queen's only daughter will be the guest of honor at the Sydney Royal Easter Show starting Friday.

In a statement released in February, the organizers said: "Her Royal Highness is coming to Australia in her role as Patron of the Commonwealth's Royal Agricultural Society, especially to open the 2022 Sydney Royal Easter Show, where we celebrate our bicentenary. .

"HRH also opened the 1988 Sydney Royal Show where we celebrated the bicentenary of the nation."

Anne will visit Australia from April 9-11, before leaving for Papua New Guinea by April 13.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post