Kansas State center Ayoka Lee sets NCAA Division I women's basketball record with 61-point game in win over No. 14 Oklahoma

Kansas State Junior Center Ayoka Lee said she thought it would be just another Sunday. Instead, she placed herself in the NCAA Division I women's basketball record book for the most points scored in a game: 61.

Lee scored nearly as many points as enemy Oklahoma had as a team, with the unranked Wildcats defeating the No. 14 Sooners 94–65 at Bramledge Coliseum in Manhattan, Kansas.

Oklahoma (16-3 overall, 5-2 Big 12) finished second in Division I with a score of 88.3 points per game. But Kansas State's 15-0 run to start the game - along with Lee's 12 points - shows it will be all Wildcats.

Lee entered on Sunday and finished third in Division I with a score of 23.6 points per game. At the start of the season he had 43 and 38 points (twice) in the games. It was the perfect setup for him and Kansas State, as there was no one in guard-heavy Oklahoma who could really match the 6-foot-6 Lee.

"I didn't come expecting to break a record," Lee said. "I think [it was] just hinging on our game plan, what we needed to run, and our guards did an amazing job.

"In my mind, I'm just thinking about maintaining my position, posting strong, knowing where my defender is, where the help is coming from and getting stronger."

Former D-I women's record of 60 points was held by Long Beach State Post player Cindy Brown (set in 1987) and Minnesota guard Rachel Banham (2016).

Lee's efficiency on Sunday was as impressive as her points total: she was 23-of-30 (76.7%) off the field and 15-of-17 from the foul line (88.2%). He also had 12 rebounds and three blocked shots for the Wildcats (15-4, 5-2). Lee entered Sunday's game, shooting 58.3% off the field for the season.

"I am so grateful for the people around me," Lee said. "For my teammates and my coaches to count on me. We came out and just took care of business. We still have a lot to play for, so I'm just excited to see how the rest of it goes." Is."

Lee is eligible for a Junior Draft of the WNBA after she rescheduled a season due to an injury and turned 22 this calendar year. According to a Kansas State spokesperson, the most recent update is that at this time, Lee still plans to return for her senior season and complete her bachelor's degree. However, he still has an opportunity to change his mind and announce the draft.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post