Auger-Aliassime beats Cilic, advances to quarterfinals

MELBOURNE, Australia - Nearly 24 hours after Denis Shapovalov reached his first Australian Open men's singles quarterfinal, his friend and countryman Felix Auger-Aliassim joined him in the last eight.

Auger-Aliassim overcame a fast and furious start by 2018 finalist Marin Cilic and turned things around until he went into a 2-6, 7-6(7), 6-2, 7-6(4) victory Till then, hold tight. A steamy day in Melbourne that challenged even the fittest tennis players in the world.

Fellow Canadian Milos Raonic has reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open five times or better.

But this is the first time two Canadians have done so in the same year. And this is the second time in the last three Grand Slam tournaments that he has done so.

This is the third consecutive Grand Slam tournament in which Auger-Aliassim have reached at least the quarter-final stage.

Now it gets even tougher, as the two come down to take the title from eight of the two biggest favorites that will remain in place after Monday's game.

On Wednesday, Auger-Aliasime will play No. 2 seed Daniil Medvedev, who survived the heat and some physical troubles along with American Maxime Crécy's throwback all-volley game, to move on to Monday.

But before that, Shapovalov will face 20-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal on Tuesday.

"I'm thrilled for him, and thrilled for Canadian tennis. I think we're both showing that we're not here by chance. We're proving week after week that we're here to stay," Auger-Aliasim said.

The Montreal native had managed just one set in the last three losses to Croatia.

Cilic was almost untouchable in the first set; Auger-Aliasim couldn't do much.

The 21-year-old Canadian was also unsure on the forehand - a problem he has spent the past few years on tour trying to solve.

He was hanging by his nails, waiting for Cilic's glorious level to fall and rise of his own.

“I tried to keep in touch, finding solutions little by little. And I started to serve better in the second set," Auger-Aliasime said. "Compared to the other times I played him, there was less nervousness on my part. I stayed calm. I had a little more confidence in myself, and I think that's what made the difference in the end." "It's a nice improvement for me in various aspects of my game."

Medvedev is another player Auger-Aliasim has defeated in three tries so far.

He came closest to his first meeting at the National Bank Open in Toronto in 2018, as Auger-Aliassim was just 18 years old.

Medvedev won in the third set tiebreak.

"We've both evolved during the times we've played. For the first time (in 2018) he was not the Medvedev he is today, and I am not the same," Auger-Aliassim said.

"At the US Open (Medvedev won Auger-Aliassim's first Grand Slam semi-final in straight sets last September, and won the tournament), my level was very good. I had a set point on my racket in the second set. The match was a bit Could have been different, if I had changed it,” said the Canadian.

The two met again earlier this month in the semi-finals of the ATP Cup in Sydney. It was a 6-4, 6-0 victory for Medvedev.

“He was largely on her side. I'll see what I can improve, because I have to be better than him physically and mentally to be with him," Auger-Aliassim said.

Canadian tennis fans have been up all hours because of the 16-hour time difference, watching two Canadian men reach the latter stages of the season's first Grand Slam tournament.

Auger-Aliassim hopes Melbourne's sunshine - and victories - can be a little distracting from everything back home.

"With a very severe winter, pandemic protocols and confinement, I hope we can put a smile on people's faces," he said.

He also hopes it sends a message about Canadian tennis.

"I hope it gives people back home the idea that it's possible. I mean, we're done. I really believe other Canadians can do the same, even though we're basically a tennis player." The countries were not, ”he said. “I think now we really are. We have shown this over and over again."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post